Daily reflection _ yes, Lord, you know that I love you

YES, LORD, YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU!
Peter, full of remorse and humility, unequivocally stated that he loved his Master and was willing to serve Him at any cost.
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
Does the fire of God's love burn in your heart? Why did Jesus question Peter's love and fidelity three times in front of the other Apostles? It must have caused Peter deep pain and sorrow knowing that he had publicly denied Jesus three times. Now Peter, full of remorse and humility, unequivocally stated that he loved his Master and was willing to serve Him at any cost. When Jesus asks him, "Do you love Me more than these?" He may have pointed to Peter's previous boast, "Though all may have their faith in You shaken, mine will never be" (Mt 26:33). Peter now makes no boast or comparison but humbly responds, "You know that I love You."
I had to ask myself the same question Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love Me?" And I am sure you have asked yourself that question as well from time to time. It seems to me that when I ask that question, something in particular has caused me to ask it. Perhaps it's at times when there are things that seem to be separating me from Jesus or when I want to do it my way and not His. But when we ask for His help and really turn to Him, He's always there waiting to listen and to come to our aid. He has given us the Church to help guide us and teach us.
We were created with a deep hunger and thirst for Him. Jesus was eager to leave us with the means to nourish us by His gift. In giving the pastoral charge to St. Peter, Jesus expressed His mission in terms of nourishment: "Feed My sheep." The ministry carried on by the successors of St. Peter within the Church is that of spiritual nourishment. "The two parts which, in a certain sense, go to make up the Mass, namely, the Liturgy of the Word and the Eucharistic Liturgy, are so closely connected with each other that they form but one single act of worship" (Sacrosanctum Concilium 56).
This is God helping us to know and live in His love and for each of us to share that love with one another. Each one of us is called, through our baptism, to be a disciple and to spread the Good News each and every day. Do we truly allow God's love to change and transform our hearts? May we say these words in our prayer today: "Yes, Lord, You know that I love You!"