Daily reflection _ yes, Lord, you know I love you

YES, LORD, YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU!
Do we truly allow God's love to change
and transform our hearts?
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
Does the fire of God's love burn in your heart?
Why did Jesus question Peter's love and fidelity three times in front of the other Apostles? It must have caused Peter pain and sorrow since he had publicly denied Jesus three times. Now Peter, full of remorse and humility, unequivocally stated that he loved his Master and was willing to serve Him whatever it might cost. When Jesus asks him, "Do you love Me more than these?" He may have pointed to Peter's previous boast: "Though they all fall away because of You, I will never fall away" (Matthew 26:33). Peter now makes no boast or comparison but humbly responds: "You know I love You".
I had to ask myself this morning the question that Peter was asked three times from Jesus. "Do you love Me?" And I am sure you have asked yourself that question as well from time to time. It seems to me when I ask that question something has caused me to ask it. The things that seem to separate me from Jesus or, when I want to do it my way and not His, etc. But when we ask for His help and really turn to Him, Jesus is there waiting to help and listen. He has given us the Church to help guide us and teach us.
We hunger and thirst for Him; Jesus was eager to leave with us the means to nourish us with His gift. In giving the pastoral charge to St. Peter, Jesus expressed His mission in terms of nourishment: "Feed my sheep." The ministry carried on by the successors of St. Peter within the Church is that of spiritual nourishment which essentially takes two forms: the Word of Scripture and the Holy Eucharist. "The two parts which... go to make up the Mass, sacred liturgy of the Word and Holy Eucharist, are so closely connected with each other that they form but one single act of worship for us all." This is God helping us to know and live in His love and for each of us to share with one another. Each one of us is called through our Baptism to be a disciple and spread the Good News each day.
Do we truly allow God's love to change and transform our hearts?
May we say these words in our prayer today: "Yes Lord, You know I love You..."