Daily reflection _ blessed are they who believe

BLESSED ARE THEY WHO BELIEVE
In the optional Gospel of Luke today, Mary didn't understand, but she trusted the messenger of the Lord and responded, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word."
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
I'd like to begin with a quote from an ancient chronicle: Mary's words to Juan Diego, "My dearest son, I am the eternal Virgin Mary, Mother of the true God, Author of Life, Creator of all and Lord of the Heavens and of the Earth... and it is my desire that a church be built here in this place for me, where, as your most merciful Mother and that of all your people, I may show my loving clemency and the compassion that I bear to the Indians, and to those who love and seek me..."
This feast in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe goes back to the sixteenth century, and chronicles from that period tell us the story. Our Blessed Mother appeared to an indigenous Mexican boy named Juan Diego and instructed him to tell the bishop to build on that site a shrine in her honor. Juan Diego, understandably, did not think the bishop would believe him, and he of course was right. He asked the Blessed Mother to send another messenger, but Mary insisted he go back to the bishop. However, the bishop insisted on a sign of proof. Mary appeared to Juan Diego again and reassured him about his uncle's health. She told him to gather flowers at the top of the hill and take them to the bishop. He obeyed and when he opened his tilma to show the roses to the bishop, there was a beautiful image of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The bishop believed and the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe was constructed at his order and is still a site of great devotion to our Mother Mary.
As we reflect upon this story, what do you think is most significant? It is the faith of both Juan Diego and the bishop. Today's Gospel tells the story of Mary's own faith in God's loving power at work in her. In the optional Gospel of Luke today, Mary didn't understand, but she trusted the messenger of the Lord and responded, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." What courage! What faith! What a role model for us all!  At the end of Luke's Gospel we hear Mary's prayer, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior." 
May this also be our prayer today as well!