Daily reflection _ I have found my servant

I HAVE FOUND MY SERVANT
The Lord is interested in what we are inside.  
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
In the Responsorial Psalm we acclaim, I have found David, my servant. With my holy oil I have anointed him, that my hand may be always with him, and that my arm may make him strong.  Samuel asked Jesse if he had more sons. Jesse replied that his youngest was tending sheep. He was ruddy, (having a fresh healthy color in the face), a handsome youth.  Yet his father only mentions this boy when pressed by Samuel.  That he tends sheep seems to imply he is simple.
The Lord's words to Samuel in today's first reading should echo loudly in our ears. "Not as man sees does God see." The Lord is interested in what we are inside. God saw inside David and made him king of Israel. God is also looking inside us. God's power is our guarantee. God's strength is our boast. We should be happy to be the people he has chosen. This is our history, and God's spirit is our life. Our destiny on earth as a people is the expression of God's divine will! For you are our God, and we are your people. God does not care about appearance but what is on the inside.
"Not as man sees does God see." It is characteristic of God in the Bible is that He is different. Jesus and His ministry on earth turned things upside down.  In the Gospel we read that when David and his men were fleeing for their lives, they sought food from the priest. The only bread he had was the holy bread offered in the Temple. None but the priests were allowed to eat this bread. In their hunger, David and his men ate of this bread. Jesus reminds the Pharisees that the Sabbath was given for our benefit, to refresh and renew us in living for God. It was intended for good only.
Points to Pray and Ponder: During this Year of Mercy we are reminded, that it is God's intention that we extend mercy and kindness to those in need, and we may not excuse ourselves so as to rest from unnecessary labor on the Sabbath.  We are called to honor the Lord in the way we treat each other and celebrate God in our life. In doing this the Lord will say, I have found my servant!