Daily reflection _ we come to know Him

WE COME TO KNOW HIM   
In the Eucharistic Liturgy, we come to know Jesus in a profound and personal way!
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
The engaging story that we hear about in today's Gospel was composed by St. Luke; composed in such a way that it should cause us to think about the Mass. By the time the Gospel came to be written, the expression "the breaking of the bread" had become a Christian term to signify the Eucharistic Celebration. More importantly, at Mass, much the same thing happens to us as happened to the two disciples on their way to Emmaus.
Jesus proclaims to them exactly what the Scriptures have to say about Himself. Then, He explains their meaning. In breaking bread, not only does He share a meal with them, but He also reveals Himself to them. At Mass, we hear the Scriptures read every day, and they are explained in the homily. In our "breaking of bread," our spiritual meal, Jesus presents Himself to us as the One Who has passed from death to glory and, thereby, has attained our salvation. Wow, what a Gift! In the Eucharistic Liturgy, we come to know Jesus through two particular means: through the Words of Scripture, whereby He enters our minds, and through the Eucharist, by which He enters our hearts. We come to know Him in a profound and personal way!
We come to know Him!  After reflecting on those words, I had to ask myself, "When did I come to know Jesus in my life? And, do I truly let Him into my heart all the time?" There was a time in my life when I thought that I had to do it all on my own; I didn't need God to help me. I prayed but I felt He didn't listen. I was going to do it my way. My prayer life - reading the Bible and going to Mass - was not woven into every part of my life. Well, the results were unhappiness, frustration, a feeling of emptiness, and making wrong decisions.
I felt like the two disciples who were on their way to Emmaus - Jesus was walking with them but they did not recognize Him, and they were downcast, confused, and afraid. They thought the death of this Man, Jesus, was an end to all their hopes. They had been convinced that Jesus had come to set them free, but now, they were confronting their lack of faith. I am sure many of you have gone through times in your life when you were lacking in faith and did not have an intimate relationship with our Lord Jesus. It took some hard times for me before I truly came to know Jesus in my heart.
I thank God for His unconditional love and patience for each of us, just as He did for the two disciples. Jesus recalled for them all that the prophets had declared. It was through hearing the Scriptures that these sad disciples came to understand that the meaning of Jesus' life and death was hidden in God's Word. "To know someone," according to the Scriptural usage, means to enter into an intimate union with that person.
In one sense, Jesus says, like the Apostles in the first reading, that He does not give us silver and gold. Rather, He gives us something much more precious - Himself! We must never grow tired of this Gift or fail to appreciate it. Part of the human condition is to take things for granted, especially something that happens every day. I know I have done that! Few of us reflect on what a marvel it is that a new day begins, that the sun continues to shine, that our hearts go on beating. It was only after Jesus joined them at table and broke bread with them that their eyes were opened. It is the same with us, today.
God, may our faith in the Risen Lord be strengthened by our hearing the Word and sharing the meal at each and every Eucharist. In the Responsorial Psalm we acclaim, "Look to the Lord in His strength; seek to serve Him constantly" (Ps 105:4)