Daily reflection _ we pay some kind of price for good things

WE PAY SOME KIND OF PRICE
FOR GOOD THINGS
Do I want the top position where I work, and do I expect everyone to jump at my command?
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
Almost everyone enjoys a good meal! But if you're not a cook, it may be difficult for you to appreciate all of the time and hard work that goes into preparing a really fine dinner. It seems that it is necessary to pay some kind of price for all good things, and apparently, that is what James and John, and their mother, had forgotten about. In today's Gospel, the two brothers wanted a share in the Kingdom and the glory of Jesus - the highest place of honor. Our Lord had to remind them that there was a price to be paid. It was the price He Himself had to pay for His glorification, namely, His passion and death. Jesus warned all the Apostles that He had to go up to Jerusalem to suffer and die, and only then would He be raised to glory and come to share in His Father's Kingdom.
I asked myself a few questions this morning while I was reflecting on today's Scripture readings: Would I, like James and John, want my mother to intercede for me so I could get the place of honor? Would I want to be the one recognized by my pride and power? Do I want the top position where I work, and do I expect everyone to jump at my command?
It is not always an easy thing to make sacrifices for the sake of others without expecting some kind of recompense, but if we look for that kind of satisfaction, I am afraid that we will not be very good disciples of Jesus Christ. The gift of oneself is especially difficult when the people we may be helping manifest no gratitude at all, but the worst possible situation, is to have them turn against you completely. Jeremiah, the Prophet, was in such a situation. Those who were plotting his death were the very ones for whom Jeremiah had prayed before the Lord.
In today's Responsorial Psalm we acclaim, "Save me, O Lord, in Your kindness" (Ps 31:17b). This is how great His love is for us! Jesus wants a relationship with each of us, personally - to be in communion with Him - and He wants us to share that relationship with those around us.
On several occasions, Jesus likened His Kingdom to a great banquet. At Mass, we partake in the Eucharistic Banquet, and anticipate the day when we will share in the heavenly Banquet. With this spiritual meal, we are also reminded of the price to be paid. We receive Communion and become sharers in the death and resurrection of Jesus. Now, our identity should reflect that of Jesus' - total dedication of oneself to God.
Can we indeed drink of the cup of the Lord?