Daily reflection _ Where I am bound


WHERE I AM BOUND
Jesus came as the Divine Physician and Good Shepherd to care for His people and to restore us to a wholeness of life.
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
Today in the Gospel Acclamation we proclaim, "The Lord sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor and to proclaim liberty to the captives" (Lk 4:18). These words are of great encouragement for us and they help draw us to the throne of God's mercy and grace. Mark's Gospel tells us that many people were drawn to Jesus, including the unwanted and the unloved; the lame, the blind, and the lepers, as well as the homeless, widows, and orphans. Public sinners, such as prostitutes and dishonest tax collectors, were also drawn to Him. As a matter of fact, Jesus chose the most unlikely candidate to be His disciple, Matthew - a tax collector who was despised by the people around him.
When the Pharisees challenged Jesus for eating with sinners, Jesus' defense was quite simple. A doctor doesn't need to visit the healthy; instead, he goes to those who are sick. Likewise, Jesus sought out those in need. A true physician seeks healing of the whole person - body and soul. Jesus came as the Divine Physician and Good Shepherd to care for His people and to restore us to a wholeness of life.
I would like to end today's reflection with this prayer from Lori Eberhardy entitled Where I'm Bound:
I am looking for comfort. They tell me all I have to do is ask and You will help me.
Simply.
I am in need of peace. They urge me to turn to You and You will grant my wish.
Silently.
I am searching for happiness. They tell me to open my heart and You will fill it with love.
Sweetly.
I am listening and I promise to accept Your truth.
Sincerely.