Daily reflection _ his standard

Wednesday, 8th week of the ordinary time

HIS STANDARD

Sometimes we say that a person is worth their weight in gold. With the fluctuation in gold prices these days it is hard to say what such a person is worth by that standard. But, how can we put a price on any human being? Every person is precious; even more than gold!

We may go on, however, to say that God is not on the gold standard. His standard for measuring our worth is something much more precious than gold. St. Peter writes,   "Beloved: Realize that you were ransomed from your futile conduct, handed on by your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold but with the precious Blood of Christ" (1 Pt. 1:18-19).
In today's Gospel, Jesus made a prediction of His death. He did so because He knew that in the Father's plan the shedding of His blood on the Cross would be the price of our salvation. Many spiritual writers have observed that Jesus would have died even if only one person had stood in need of salvation. That observation is valid. Even though God saves us and makes us a Christian people by forming us into a single, loving soul - the Church - He does not look upon us as a nebulous crowd of humanity. He knows and loves each one of us as an individual. We can rightly say that what God does for all, He does for each person in particular.

Sts. James and John, as it was pointed out in the Gospel, were concerned about their place in God's heavenly Kingdom. They wanted special treatment. As I was reflecting on these readings it took me back a few years to when I was starting in the corporate world of business. It is a fast-paced life, moving up the ladder, not letting anyone get in the way even if it hurts the person next to you. I gave them all I had and I wanted to be noticed for my efforts. I wanted to have the highest pay and be in the position next to the President of the company - a Vice President. Well, I did move up the ladder but I didn't become the Vice President; instead, I became the Regional Manager.

The pay was great and it was a top position but there was also a price to pay. I traveled for several years. I would leave home on Mondays and return on Fridays. I missed many of my children's activities in school and sports. I did not have the time with my wife to plan our life and be a part of our home. It felt like I was on a weekend trip to be with them; my home became a vacation getaway. Success was what I desired and, yes, I wanted to be the right-hand person of the President just like James and John wanted to be the in the top position with Jesus in heaven. "Grant that in Your glory we may sit one at Your right and the other at Your left" (Mk. 10:37). They were totally absorbed in their own self-interest; completely unresponsive to the whole meaning of Jesus and His ministry, just as I wanted the prominent position in the corporate structure. But I thank God that He helped me to see what my foremost priorities in life needed to be and receptively look to Him for the answers. This generated more time with my family and I ceased looking at what was important for me and began to be aware of the needs of the people around me.

Jesus, with gentleness and understanding, used the incident with James and John to teach a lesson. "Whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all" (Mk. 10:44). Before we condemn others for their obtrusiveness, let us examine how often our lives go by untouched by Jesus' loving self as we seek status, self-comfort, and avoid suffering in our lives.

Our challenge today is to rejoice in the fact that we are precious in the eyes of God, that our worth has been measured by His standard - the blood of His divine Son.

Deacon John Ruscheinsky