Spiritual readings _ the poem "Herod's Lament"


The Poem "Herod's Lament"
His mouth still proclaims
the Kingdom
I struggle to hate.
Rita A. Simmonds
At every horizon
the Baptist's head rises;
his honey lips
drip bitter words
for my soul is not pure.
"Blood that is shed
as a witness to truth
is like spring rain
to hidden roots."
Tiny limbs that leapt mightily
at the coming
of the long awaited One,
I severed from the head
in haste
for a dance that delighted and was done.
How long gone
is the thrill
of what we kept
for what we thought
we had to kill.
And now my whole life
is a cringe
at the platter brought in.
I see his head turn on the plate.
His mouth still proclaims
the Kingdom
I struggle to hate.
Mrs Simmonds is an award-winning poet.
She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with her husband and two children.