Daily reflection _ let us not reject this gift


LET US NOT REJECT THIS GIFT
“When I only think of myself, attract my attention to someone else.” (Mother Teresa)
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
It is written many times in Scripture that Jesus greeted the disciples with the words, "Peace be with you." Reflection on these words might draw us to the thought that Jesus must think peace is a very important gift for us to receive. We yearn to live in peace on a national level and throughout the world. If we all lived in peace, imagine what a different place this world would be!
The Easter Season isn't only a time of celebration; it is also a time to reflect on the self-giving that makes this great season possible. Jesus Christ went willingly to His death, sacrificing His life for a greater good. Because of that sacrifice, He was raised to new Life.
Giving of ourselves has its own reward: it is pleasing to our heavenly Father and brings us much blessing in our lives. Bringing a generous spirit to all our dealings with others can be a joyful, peaceful, and loving experience.
In our responsorial psalm today we acclaim: "Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of Your kingdom" (Ps 145). By Your works, O Lord, we give thanks!
Mother Teresa lived a life of faith, and this is what she wrote:
Lord:
When I am hungry, send me someone who needs food.
When I am thirsty, send me someone who needs drink.
When I am cold, send someone to be warmed.
When I am distressed, send me someone to console.
When my cross is becoming heavy, send me someone with whom to share His cross.
When I am poor, lead me to someone in need.
When I have no time left, send me someone whom I might help for a few moments.
When I am humiliated, help me to find someone to praise.
When I am discouraged, send me someone to encourage.
When I need to be understood by others, send me someone who needs my understanding.
When I need to be cared for, send me someone to care for.
When I only think of myself, attract my attention to someone else.
Do we want to receive peace in our lives? It seems Jesus and Mother Teresa lived lives of faith that brought them true peace. Every time we prepare to receive Eucharist, we say the words of today's Gospel of John: "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you."
Let us not reject this gift! Practice one act of compassion for someone today.