Daily reflection _ we are church

WE ARE CHURCH
Today's Gospel reading, "You are Peter and upon this rock I will build My Church," leads us to make an act of faith in Christ Jesus, Who uses human beings, you and me, to proclaim His wonders!
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
In today's Gospel, Jesus establishes His Church founded on Peter, whose name means "rock." Jesus named Simon, "Peter," because he would become the rock upon which the Church would be built. Matthew's Gospel tells us that authority in the Church was entrusted to Peter when Jesus addressed him saying, "I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Mt 16:19).
Now, I am sure that the Lord could have found many different ways of establishing His Church. He could have entrusted it to the angels or established a Church with some sort of direct inspiration, where every move on earth was dictated from heaven. Instead, the Lord placed the Church in the hands of people of faith. Good people, like Peter, but still people with all the limitations of being human.
Just as it is with all human beings, sometimes the humanity of individuals gets in the way of their divine charge. Peter tried to keep Jesus from going to Jerusalem and was thus called "satan," for he was doing the work of the devil. After boasting that he would never deny Jesus, he did in fact deny Him three times. Peter was a good man, a man of faith, but sometimes he lost the vision of who he was and what he was entrusted with. After Pentecost, when the Church was in its primal stage, Peter realized that Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians were equal. Yet, at Antioch, he ignored the Gentiles in favor of the Jews, for which Paul berated him. Peter was a holy man, but still, a man; as a man he made mistakes.
When we think of how Peter lived and died for the Lord and how the Church flourished despite his human failings as well as those of all in Church authority who would follow him, we have to recognize the hand of the Holy Spirit in the very life of the Church. Jesus gave His authority to the rock, even though every now and then those who exercise this authority let their humanity get in the way of their responsibility. Still, because we do have a concrete authority, rock-solid, we know who we are when we say we are Catholic. We know the fundamental beliefs of our Faith and the basic dictates of our morals. We are firm in our Faith, knowing that even if those in authority should give us a poor example of living the Faith, we still maintain our Christianity. The Church still flourishes! Why? Because the Church is much more than mere individuals, it is the Body of Christ.
When I think of some of the ways in which I, as an ordained deacon, have let my humanity get in the way of my responsibility, and yet still witness the wonderful ways the Lord uses me for others, I have to realize that God's power is far stronger than my own limitations. When I am clear that a course of action for our retreat center must be undertaken, even though this may be unpopular with some, such as structure in management, and when I receive support for this direction from those in authority over me, I realize that God is using me as a director and as a deacon.
St. John Paul II made a trip to Toronto for World Youth Day in 2002. The theme was, "You are the salt of the earth...You are the light of the world" (Mt 5:13a, 14a). We are all called to this truth, which brings the Church to a fullness of life and love with Jesus as the Head. Justine Steckbauer wrote, "Be light wherever you stand... Be an example of truth, kindness and justice. Be a reflection of the Savior." Today's Gospel reading, "You are Peter and upon this rock I will build My Church," leads us to make an act of faith in Christ Jesus, Who uses human beings, you and me, to proclaim His wonders!