Daily Reflection _ monday of 32nd week OT


"INCREASE OUR FAITH"
Today's Gospel reading from St. Luke takes me back to when I was a child going to the sacrament of confession. I remember trying to come up with a list of sins I could tell my pastor. I always had three main sins: I disobeyed my mother and father, I didn't always tell the truth, and I said bad words. Father knew what I was going to say before I said it.
The Church, in our modern time, has evolved from confession to the sacrament of reconciliation. The list is now based not so much on the list of sins but on the forgiveness that is always possible for those of us who seek our heavenly Father's mercy. We need to have a greater sense that the sacrament is not just about one person but the community at large. When we turn to God for forgiveness we realize that we must also forgive others who have come to seek our forgiveness as well. At times it may seem impossible for us to forgive, but we need to turn to God for His help and grace.
In today's Responsorial Psalm we acclaim, "Lord, this is the people that longs to see Your face" (Ps 24:6). The Apostles said in their prayer to the Lord, "Increase our faith." Our faith is a gift freely given by God to help us know Him personally, to understand His truth, and to live in the power of His love. God expects more from us than we can simply do on our own. That is why Jesus gives us the gift and power of the Holy Spirit Who helps us to grow in faith, persevere in hope, and endure in love!
"Who can ascend the mountain of the Lord? Who can stand in His holy place? The clean of hand and pure of heart, who are not devoted to idols, who desires not what is vain" (Ps 24:3 - 4). May we trust in the grace and strength that God freely gives to help us overcome obstacles in doing His will.
Lord, I say to You, "Increase my faith."