Daily reflection _ life of faith

LIFE OF FAITH
When I only think of myself, attract my attention to someone else.
Deacon John Ruscheinsky
In today's first reading from Leviticus the Lord instructs the Israelites to be holy as the Lord their God is holy. This criterion of holiness is then spelled out in some detail. It is practical, concrete, and rooted in acts of justice and fairness carried mutually among those of the community. The Israelites are to love their neighbors as themselves. The Gospel depicts the final judgment scenario that will accompany the coming Son of Man. In many ways it shares the same context as the first reading today. It is the concrete exercise of the corporal works of mercy. An added feature of this final judgment is that the corporal acts of mercy are to be offered simply on the basis of need and nothing more. Whenever we assist the very least of the people around us, we in effect, assist the Lord as well.
Mother Teresa said it well in her prayer that we entitle, "Life of Faith."
Lord:
When I am hungry, send me someone who needs food.
When I am thirsty, send me someone who needs a drink.
When I am cold, send me someone to be warmed.
When I am distressed, send me someone to console.
When my cross is becoming heavy, send me someone with whom to share His cross.
When I am poor, lead me to someone in need.
When I have no time left, send me someone whom I might help for a few moments.
When I am humiliated, help me to find someone to praise.
When I am discouraged, send me someone to encourage.
When I need to be understood by others, send me someone who needs my understanding.
When I need to be cared for, send me someone to care for.
When I only think of myself, attract my attention to someone else.
In the responsorial psalm we acclaim, "Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life" (Ps 19). He gives wisdom to the simple and enlightens the eyes. For God is our rock and redeemer. Amen!